March is National Nutrition Month, so I spend the month celebrating and educating at my place of employment. 🙂 Tomorrow, the department heads are having a “healthy” carry-in for lunch. We’ll see how “healthy” the dishes are… I’ll be the judge. 😉 Normal carry-ins consist of fat-loaded dips, butter & sugar laden baked goods, and enough calories for the entire day… hopefully tomorrow’s is a bit more clean & green. hehe.
I decided to try a new recipe, courtesy of fANNEtastic food: Chocolate Coconut Almond Balls.
Ingredients: (makes about 6 balls)
- 2 fresh pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup whole almonds (unsalted)
- 1 Tbsp. dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. oats
- 1 Tbsp. water (to help it stick)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut (for rolling)
1. Pour coconut onto a plate and set aside.
2. Place the rest of the ingredients (except coconut) into a food processor. Process about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
3. Wet hands (do this each time before you form the balls – it will help everything stick) and then form mixture into ball shapes. The recipe should yield about 6 balls.
4. Roll balls in coconut mixture.
- Do not try and quadruple the recipe (like I did) because the almonds do not have enough room to get chopped up in the food processor. If you would like more than 6 balls, just repeat the recipe until you have the amount you would like.
- My food processor was a bit of a pain… and the food was getting stuck beneath the blades. I had better luck with my single serving chopper.
🙂 Happy National Nutrition Month